Kai Expressions Jewelry Spotlight

Friday, May 21, 2010

My Crib Sheet: Kai Expressions

See below for a one-on-one interview with Kai Expressions designer and founder, Janine Robinson:

What is your business?
Kai Expressions excels in unique handcrafted jewelry and is dedicated to providing high quality one-of-a-kind designs with humble pricing. Our latest branch, Kai Keepsakes, specializes in customized pieces, such as custom wedding ensembles and charm bracelets. We honor varied cultures and diversity, and you will see that our collections suit a broad variety of tastes. In addition to promoting culture, at Kai Expressions we also take pride in elevating self-esteem and uplifting the community. We were proud to develop a philanthropic program donating over $800 to a sanctuary for poor and homeless women in Massachusetts, and look forward to expanding the program in Southern California at the Downtown Women's Center. Additionally, we have made donations to various other organizations that focus on health, education and finding homes for women and children.

What motivated you to start your business?
I have had a creative nature since a was a small child, always using drawing or writing to express myself since I was able to hold a pencil! My company actually started with custom handcrafted event favors since I was always creating small gifts for family affairs. My first check as an entrepreneur was for creating 50 custom mint tins for a bachelorette party! Eventually the winds shifted and I began creating earrings after a brief trip to Michael's. I take great pride in creating a work of art with my own two hands, no matter how small, how personal, how intricate. Jewelry is an extension of this passion to create uniqueness, and accessorizing is the outmost form of self expression!

How long have you been running your business?
My business began in 2005, and I received my first official business certificate in 2006.  I am working on a five year anniversary kick off celebration... stay tuned!

How long would you say it took you to make a profit/become successful (however you choose to measure success)?
My jewelry had a slow start and really didn't begin to take legs for about a year and a half when I started selling at craft fairs. By then my designs had sharpened and the variety of pieces I created increased from just earrings to full sets, bracelets, earring frame holders and wine charms. By consistently participating in one location and gathering a mailing list I was able to create a following and continued relationships with my clients.

How did your family react to you starting your own business?
My family was and still is extremely supportive of my business. They have been involved from the very start, ranging from voting on the name, testing out designs and many have spent hours with set up, take down and being fully present at events. I never once felt I was in over my head and my family was right there with me as I lifted Kai Expressions off the ground.

Easiest part of the job?
Creating the designs. I love to look for the most unique and luxurious looking beads and crystals and honestly have a ball when it comes to creating my jewelry. And the best part? Expanding my own jewelry collection!

Hardest part of the job?
Exposure. People who see my jewelry love it, but increasing the number of people that are able to see it, touch it, wear it is a challenge. I do have a great website, however, I have found that in purchasing jewelry many would like to see it in person, and photos don’t always do the right justice. I have been working on growing our fan base with social networks, which is fun for me but difficult when I know people are flooded with “online overload” these days.

What skill would you most like to improve?
Networking. I believe I have a great foundation for my business, and a great product, but I would like to let more people know what I have to offer. Some higher profile clients would also be a great asset a I continue to grow in Southern California.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
Following through. I have had two big changes that effected my business: 1.) the economy and 2.) moving across the country. Both have had an impact on buying trends and a shift in my client base. I have seen other business fall but am proud that Kai Expressions is still holding strong, and the creativity is only improving. I have my clients, fan base and family to thank for that.

What tools or advice do you wish you knew then that you know now?
I wish I had laid out a business plan from the start. Because it started as more of a hobby, I have had to piece together a plan of action. I recently stumbled across a great book, The Guided Business Plan by Melanie Rae, that has been really helpful in getting my thoughts, marketing, targets and vision together. If I had it 4 or5 years ago I think the initial journey may not have been so bumpy.

Inspiration?
My upbringing has inspired me to do whatever I set my mind to.

Least likely to…
…give up creating!

My life…
... has only just begun. I look forward to the wonderful memories and accomplishments that lay ahead...

What’s your top tip for a women looking to go into business?
Go for it! You have a passion and it's ready to be released. You will be rewarded with the sacrifice of hard work and cherished time. Organize, deep, and dive in...

No comments:

Post a Comment